IosΙos inhabited since prehistoric times . Due to its geographical position , is one of the most southerly islands of the Cyclades and is strategically located on the sea route to Crete and southern Asia , played a key role in the development of the Cycladic civilization. Archaeological finds on the hill Skarkos reveal the existence of Cycladic settlement in Ios.
This relatively untouched island is hilly , with cliffs that reach the sea on most sides. It offers spectacular views of many islands in the Aegean and the amazing scenery make it the perfect choice for those who want to do hiking vacations.
Ιn the 1970s was a fashionable destination of youths. It was the era of free camping and tourist with backpack.: Vast beaches, limited settlements, countless bars were some of the attractions . Since then, the tourist infrastructure has improved rapidly (hotels, bars, restaurants etc ..).
Ios is located between Santorini and Naxos and your regular routes give the option to take a day trip to these islands. Apart from its natural beauty, the island of Ios is mainly known for its nightlife and endless entertainment that offers its guests. Island of Ios is so far a “party island”.
The main village of Ios is a spectacular harbor. Here you can find the beach of the village, and a beautiful marine.
- The resort of Mylopotas, which combines traditional folk architecture with excellent beach,
- The tomb of Homer, the most famous poet and antiquity and creator of epic iliad and odyssey projects. According to tradition, the mother of Homer came from Ios. That is why the poet died on the island. Of course , there is another version according to which Homer did not solve the riddle and the natives killed him . In Plakoto, on the north side of the island , on the hill is said to be the tomb of the poet .
- The Church of Panagia Gremiotissa,
- Picturesque windmills in the country
- Ancient settlement in vicinity of the works.
- The capital is Chora , which has built amphitheater overlooking the harbor . Here the classic Cycladic architecture dominates in all its splendor .
- Maganari is one of the most beautiful regions of Ios on the southernmost tip of the island . Here, there are seven consecutive beaches with golden sand.
- The stone-built lighthouse Ios , recently renovated , overlooks the harbor entrance . The lighthouse is open to visitors by following a path from the region " Koumbara " Ios .